Saturday 26 March 2016

Monday 29th February 1988

Me and Fay are almost in love with each other. I have got another verucca on the other foot and I have to get to school for 20 past 7 because of the London trip stopping NOW!!!

Almost in love with each other? In that you're in love with her but she's not with you? No more detail you think you might want to give to the emotional subject you started with maybe? Nope, let's move on to more important matters like foot health. 

How were you to know that 28 years later you'd be reading this and remember nothing of the events which led to such a bold statement? 

I think I remember the school trip though, it formed the basis of the archetypal 'turned up to school naked' dream for many years to come, with one slight (and very Neil Dowling) twist - sure, I was in my pyjamas on the coach and around the Natural History Museum, but the thing I was freaking out about more than anything else was the fact I had bed hair. Anyone who knows me reasonably well will attest to the fact that my Achilles' Heel has and will always be my hair. I have made situations very uncomfortable in the past when my insistence on definitely going home rather than staying out and sleeping at someone else's house/getting a hotel lest I wake up with unmanageable bed hair and instantly lose friends/potential girlfriends when they see the 'real me'. It's something I really only got over in about 2005. 

It's also anthropologically and pedagogically interesting to note that aged 10 I had no idea how to write the time properly, although I'm reasonably certain there have been other entries with time in them that didn't jar like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment